Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lenten Sacrifice

Well, I finally did it.  I finally found someething to give up that is really, really difficult...and that will get me closer to God...and will make me a better wife and mother.  I've given up Facebook.  I live on this site.  It's constantly running in the background on my computer.  It's like a bad reality tv show...I keep updating to see what is happening with everyone's life...and in the process I realized that I was losing a lot of mine.  I knew it had gotten bad when I came inside from Parker's 1st Birthday Party, to update my status that I was, in fact, at his birthday party.  Like seriously...who cared?  No one.  I mean, people responded and they "liked" my status...but, for those few moments, I was not present at my own son's party.  The party I had worked so hard to plan...and make favors for...and decorate...and make all the food for...  I knew something had to be done.  Not to mention the fact that Justin's biggest gripe with me is that I'm glued to the computer at night.  So, I took the plunge.  Today alone, I've spent more time with Parker playing this morning...and I thought I was doing a pretty good job of that before.  I also was able to wake up before everyone else in the house, and make myself tea and relax and watch the news in peace and quiet.  I also warmed up Justin's car while he was in the shower.  And I managed to clean up Parker's toys...which I hadn't done the night before because I was feverishly updating Facebook and telling everyone that I would be gone for a few weeks. 

Needless to say, I feel lighter.  I am ready to take Parker to the library (Baby Lapsits is at 10:30) so he can play with his "friends," and it's only 9 am.  He is napping...resting up for his playtime.  I'm going to post this, and then go make myself some breakfast.  Yep...I actually had time to blog this morning...because I'm not on Facebook.  So much has changed this morning...and I've only been awake for 3 hours.  I'm excited to see what the rest of this Lenten time will bring.  Blessings many, I'm sure...and it's not even supposed to happen that way.  I'm supposed to be getting closer to God...not the other way around.  Amazing how that works, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment